To celebrate the coming of the new year I decided to make some Rum Cake Pops again after having success with the last batch I did during Halloween time. My first batch I did a pretty basic Rum Cake with White Chocolate on the outside, and they turned out very well. This time around I decided Coconut Rum & German Chocolate Cake was the way to go. I plan on keeping this trend going throughout the new year with different variations on the recipe below.
I imagine with how popular Cake Pops have become, most of you know how to make them, so I'll be brief.
- (1) Cake Mix Box or Home Made Cake of Choice
- (1 Cup) Rum of Choice or 2 Tablespoons Rum Extract (Or to taste!)
- (1/2 Container) of Frosting of Choice (Cream Cheese is best!)
- (2) Bars of Melt-able Chocolate or White Chocolate
- (15-20) Cake Pop sticks, Toothpicks, or Popsicle sticks
- Make cake mix as directed
- Add Rum to mixture
- Bake as directed on the box (or you can make your own homemade)
- Let the cake cool for a 2-3 hours.
- Crumble Cake into crumbs in a bowl
- Combine 1/2 container of frosting with cake
- Roll into balls
- Stick a stick into each ball
- Freeze for 15-20 minutes, or fridge rate for 3-4 hours
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe cup
- Dip (Optional: Coat outside with candy or sprinkles after dipping)
- Set for 10-15 minutes
If you decide to use any sort of dairy products in the mixture, you will want to refrigerate. But these cakes are safe to keep on the counter in room temperature for about a week. I've been lucky and have had a few batches retain moisture for a week and a half!
: : Celeste : :