Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Midnight in Paris

Screenwriter and Directer: Woody Allen

After watching the Oscars, and seeing that this film being nominated in several categories, and won in Original Screenplay, my boyfriend and I knew we wanted to watch this film.

Within minutes of starting the movie, we were both entranced by the ideas Gil (Owen Wilson), and his dreams of living in Paris. Though, his fiance, Inez (Rachel McAdam) and her parents did not agree; they didn't like Paris, the culture, the food, any of it. It baffled me to hear the  family talk down Gil for wanting to live in Paris.

For the most part he keeps quiet, but when he does speak it is hard not to agree with him about the beauty of Paris, and how he believes it is most beautiful in the rain. He also talks about the Golden Age of Paris of the 1920's, which leads the character Gil to a memorizing set of nights, meeting with historical characters such as Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott. Fitzgerald, Zelda Fitzgerald, Cole Porter, Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso and so many more...


This really was the perfect film for the perfect time. I've been thinking a lot about Paris, fashion, history, and I've been reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Jazz Age" on my new kindle. I've always wanted to read more of his works, since "The Great Gatsby" is one of my favorite books. 

Now, I can't say I'm terrible good with writing, especially at reviews so I'll definitely suggest that you read this well written review, over at Idiosyncratic Wit. It's a beautiful film, and surely worth the watch.

Related Articles:

1 comment:

  1. 'Midnight in Paris" is definitely one of my favorite films.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your story!