Monday, April 23, 2012

The Peplum




A few years ago (2008 or 2009), I was shopping at Macy's with a few friends of mine, and I came across this dress at Macy's that I absolutely fell in love with. It was a perfect shade of sort of a mixed turquoise/emerald and it had a very different shape to it, it was a "Peplum", but at the time I had no idea of the name and hadn't seen any other dress or skirt in that style until within the past 2 years . I'm not one who will just buy a dress, wear it once and rid of it. I kept it, wore it on occasions that fit and hoped for more reasons to wear it, and it seems like this summer is the perfect year!

I've been seeing a lot more Peplums in stores, and its kind of exciting. Its hard not to want to buy a skirt now though, since I already have a dress, with it being the perfect shape for my shape. I'm pretty skinny, and not too curvy, so it gives me a little bit more of that hourglass shape all women desire. 

What I like about this style, as many others, it originated way back in the 1800's, as an over-skirt usually attached to a fitted jacket. It was a popular style in the 1940's in women's suits, and game back in the 80's, but wasn't usually quite as flattering as it is today.The modern peplum is fitted at the waist and extends beyond the waist in an over-skirt,

You can find a peplum skirt, or dress in an array of styles and colors. And there are so many places to buy one, including places like Macy's, Modcloth, and Forever 21. You can of course always find them at bargin outlet stores such as TJ Maxx, Ross, & Marshals and I imagine many many more stores. And if you can't find what you are looking for and know how to sew you can always make one of your own.

Related Articles:

4 comments:

  1. i've always been a bit unsure about this style but i love the dark red skirt from modcloth! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too its really cute. Its hard not for me to like, being similar to a pencil skirt but with the the illusion of an hourglass figure.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Would love to hear your story!