Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tunage Tuesday: Gotye



I decided to try and do a weekly post about music, which is one of my greatest influences. Hopefully it

About a week ago I heard this song, "Somebody that I Used to Know" by Gotye, and I absolutely fell in love with it. It's catchy, sad, the lyrics are so...! and did I say catchy? Anyhow, if you haven't heard it I suggest you take a second to listen to the song. The video, I have to say is a bit creepy, but I do like the use of abstract art to convey emotion. Where as the closeup on singer Wouter "Wally" De Backer was what made it a little on the creepy side. It didn't help that when featuring artist, Kimbra, turned around (I didn't realize she was there!) I was reminded of an owl.

Anyhow, despite the video, I can't stop listening to this song. I don't think I've been obsessed about a song like this since "Mr. Brightside", by the Killers. After hearing it 2 times I knew I had to get the CD to see if there were similar tracks. So far I'm really diggin' it & there are so many instruments being played & the vocals are great. Very different yet... familiar.

: : Celeste : :

2 comments:

  1. This song has been ridiculously popular here. I hear the song itself on the radio at least once a day, and I hear different techno or rock remixes in clubs and bars all the time. I think people just connect so well with it. More than once I've heard an entire room of popular start singing the chorus at the top of their lungs. Sadly, I wasn't as impressed with the rest of the album though. It felt more produced and had less of the raw emotion that this song does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't surprise me that its really popular there. I've heard a few remixes and no matter what the song's addicting.

      I do have to agree with you about the cd. The rest of it is nothing like this song and if people buy it thinking it'll be like it - they'd probably be disappointed. I do think that one or two of their songs if put on the radio would get pretty popular too, though. Just probably not with the same impact.

      Delete

Would love to hear your story!